FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Jessica Dennes, [email protected]
For more information: pimacountycasa.org, savma.org
Court Appointed Special Advocate Volunteer wins top volunteer award
Tucson, Oct. 24— Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) Volunteer, Steve Johnson, is being awarded the Southern Arizona Volunteer of the Year from the Southern Arizona Volunteer Management Association.
Steve Johnson, a CASA Volunteer and Peer Coordinator with the CASA of Pima County Program will be honored Jan. 16, 2020 at the Southern Arizona Volunteer Management Association Awards, which recognize all levels of volunteerism including individuals, nonprofits and corporations.
According to Jill LaBrie, CASA Coordinator for Johnson, “All of our staff are very excited for Steve and believe he is well deserving of the recognition. Steve has shared that he does this because he, himself grew up in foster care, before CASA’s existence, and wants to pay it forward and give children in foster care what he didn’t have”.
SAVMA recognized Johnson for contributions and commitment to the CASA Program and the foster children in Pima County.
“I am very grateful to receive this award”, said Johnson, who is retired. “I am a CASA Volunteer to let every child in foster care know that someone is listening, and they are not alone.”
About Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) Program of Pima County
- CASA is a national organization established in 1977 in Seattle, Washington.
- In 1979, CASA of Pima County became the second program in the country.
- There are now CASA programs in all 50 states, as well as all 15 counties of Arizona
- CASA Volunteer Advocates are ordinary people who do extraordinary things for children in foster care who have experienced abuse or neglect.
About Southern Arizona Volunteer Management Association
- SAVMA was established in 1996 as a professional association for volunteer administrators. Its mission is to promote excellence in volunteer program management, provide educational programs, leadership, information and resources as well as networking opportunities and support Southern Arizona’s volunteer community.
- This is the second year for the SAVMA Awards. The 2020 awards will be held Jan. 16 at the Tucson Convention Center Ballroom.
To learn more about this year’s honorees and get updates on all things volunteer, visit savma.org.